You know how some things holds so much meaning. Take for example months. Some months are specifically known as celebration months. December is very nostalgic month for me. Where I was born and brought up, December was cold. It meant carol singing competition in schools and church. It meant sweet aroma of home made delicacies. It also meant late night prayers at church. It also meant late night carol and Santa group visiting our houses. It meant late night Xmas tree decoration. I am sure you too have fond memories of December , Christmas and New year.
I made this cake for 2 reasons:
When my mom came to know that I had started baking cakes, she asked me for a cake that she can try too.
One of my friend mentioned that her son could not have artificial sugar due to health reasons hence she wanted to give him a sugar-free cake.
Few people have asked me the difference between Baking Soda and Baking powder. Let me explain it in my next post. Due to shortage of time I could not elaborate it here.
Just glance over the ingredients. Are you surprised? This is the most healthiest cake ever. Do try it and let me know how it turned out.
Dates – 18-20 ( I used Doha Dates)
Milk – 1 and 1/4 cup (I used skim)
Wheat flour – 1 cup
Oil – 1/2 cup (I used Olive)
Baking soda – 1 tsp
Baking Powder – 1/2 tsp
Butter for greasing pan
Chopped nuts – 2 tblspn ( I used cashew and almond)
- Soak pitted dates in milk for at least 1 hour.
- In a blender blend the dates and milk. (Blend finely if you don’t want dates pieces in cake)
- Sieve together in a bowl wheat flour, baking soda and baking powder.
- Add in oil and mix well.
- Add the dates- milk mix and fold in properly.
- Heat a pressure cooker with a stand inside.
- Place a baking paper in cake pan.
- Grease the pan and paper with butter.
- Pour the batter inside the pan.
- Sprinkle some chopped nuts at top (optional)
- Place the pan on the stand in cooker.
- Remove the gasket ( round ring) and whistle from the pressure cooker lid.
- Close the lid of the pressure cooker and bake on low flame for 30-40 minutes or till the knife inserted comes out clean.
- Remove from pressure cooker once baked and let it cool down.
- Once cooled remove from pan and cut into pieces.