Have you heard the story of the spider who tries to weave his web. He falls down umpteen number of times but still stands up and tries again until he builds up a beautiful web.
You may be asking why am I narrating this kids story. Because these stories are what prepares you for life. I have been wanting to bake breads, biscuits at home. But because of ‘n’ number of times my microwave has tripped of my meter as soon as I put it in convection mode, I was almost dejected. Still a voice deep down my heart convinces me to try again. In a pressure cooker. So I got up searching and found a recipe. Yay. But is that it? Again I struggled to pull up my guts to try. You know how saddening is the feeling when you make something from all your heart, energy and ingredients and when it flops to just discard it.
So last weekend, I was preparing my mind to try this recipe. I read the recipe many times. Saturday went by. Then Sunday by afternoon after finishing other chores, I was again deciding whether I should go for it. Then somehow on a whim I decided to go for it.
The original recipe asked to place the bread pan on a closed bowl full of water in the pressure cooker filled with water. So when the water started boiling and the bowl started tilting and making noises I got scared. I tried adjusting the bread pan but it was shifting from one of the cooker to the other. I thought this isn’t gonna give even cooking. Frustration seeped in and I switched off the flame.
But somehow I was reluctant to let it go. After all I was doing it for my family and my son. So I removed the bowl and placed a small stand and on it placed the bread pan. And tried to bake with fingers crossed. I was walking from hall to kitchen waiting for 20 minutes to be over and finally see the end product.
And the end product was successful. Yay. Next time I am gonna bake a completely healthy wheat bread and take more pictures so it is easy for your experience.
So go ahead and give it a try. Ping me or comment if you have questions. Happy to help.
It is okay if you do not have bread loaf pan (rectangular). If you have regular cake pan that fits properly inside your cooker that would do too.
All purpose Flour/ Maida – 150 gms
Wheat flour/ Atta – 100 gms
Oats Flour – 50 gms (powder the regular quick cooking oats in blender)
Olive Oil/ vegetable Oil – 3 tsp
Baking powder – 1 tsp + 1/4 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Salt to taste
Water as required
Butter as required
- Sieve maida, wheat flour, baking powder into a bowl.
- Add oats flour, sugar and salt and mix well.
- Add olive oil and mix well.
- Using little bit of water knead it to a dough. Don’t overwork the dough. It should not be sticky nor it should be very dry.
- Shape it in a bread loaf form.
- Grease your pan with butter and place the bread loaf in.
- Heat your pressure cooker with 2-3 cups of water. (Based on your stand size and your pressure cooker. The water quantity should be such that it should boil till your bread it baked and not get completely evaporated. )
- Place your stand inside the pressure cooker such that the stand is just submerged.
- Keep the pressure cooker on high flame.
- Wait for 2 minutes.
- Now place your bread loaf pan on the stand. (be very careful while placing or removing the pan as to not burn your hands. Make use of mittens or tongs)
- Take the pressure cooker lid and remove the gasket (it is the black rubber ring). Also remove the whistle.
- Place the pressure cooker lid on and bake on high heat for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes open your pressure cooker and insert a spoon or knife. If it comes out clean it is baked.
- Switch off and bring out the pan to cool.
- Let it cool completely before slicing it.
- After the bread is baked the top will look like it is gooey from top. Don’t worry after it is cooled it will look fine.
- Since it was my first attempt I did not add nuts or dry fruits.
- Keep watching on the pressure cooker. If the slight hissing sound from the whistle nozzle disappears that means the water in the pressure cooker has evaporated and the bottom may start burning soon. Open the pressure cooker and add some water in that case.
- The brown crust will not be achieved in this type of baking. But in any case most people don’t like them.
Do try it and let me know how it turned out. Next time I am planning to avoid maida and include banana. Do tune in.
PS: I am not very happy with the pictures. Next bread recipe I will include more and good pictures.