Hello there.I know many of my reader’s have small kids and they are looking for exciting and yummy recipes which is healthy as well. Although I try to include variety of recipes I love posting kids recipes.
Today’s recipe is a quick, healthy and delicious recipe that you can feed your kids when they are under the weather. There is no added white sugar and totally yumm. I don’t like to have dates as it is. Hence, I find ways to include it in recipes be it chutney or cakes.
Broken wheat – 2 tblspn
Dates – 6-8 pitted and chopped (I used Doha dates – the soft ones)
Apple – 1 peeled and chopped
Cardamom powder – a pinch (optional)
- In a pressure cooker add washed broken wheat, dates and apples with 1.5 cups of water.
- Pressure cook for 1 whistle and let it cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Switch off and let the steam settle.
- Once cooled blend everything in blender. Add cardamom powder and serve.
- You can add milk.
- You can also add ghee.
- You can add fried nuts.
But if your aim is to feed a sick kid with easy to swallow and digest porridge then skip the variations points.
When I came to Kerala around five years back I noticed a revolution of oats supply here. People regularly have oats porridge with milk. Especially for babies and people with health reasons, oats have become a regular dish.
I am not very much into oats. But I know oats is healthy. How to make it yummy is always a challenge. I learned from experience that if kids suffer from constipation oats porridge is the best food since it is fibrous.
This is a simple oats porridge with caramelized apples and without milk. If your kid is used to milk then you can prepare it with milk. Some kids tend to have cough congestion with milk intake. Also milk is known to increase constipation.
Quick Cooking Oats – 1 cup
Sugar – 2 tblspn or as per taste
Chopped Apple – 1/2 cup
Powdered jaggery – 1 cup
Cinnamon Powder – 1 tsp
Salt as per taste
- In a pan take oats, 2 cups water, cinnamon and salt. Bring it to a boil and cook for 2 minutes.
- Take it off flame.
- In a pan take thinly chopped apples and powdered jaggery.
- Cook on low flame.
- Remove from flame when the apples have become sticky and nicely caramelized.
- Add it to the oats and mix well.
- Serve it warm
Oats porridge is quickly prepared and is soothing on a day when you have cough and cold.