Here we go. The most awaited recipe. The pineapple upside down cake defeated another one of my fears. My office colleagues loved it very much. I was scared to try this recipe in pressure cooker since it involved fruit in direct contact with the pan and not pureed in the cake batter. Hence after much speculation I decided to go for it and wow it was super duper hit.
People loved the pics. People who tasted the cake gave me good reviews. Some said this was the best cake amongst all the cakes I made so far. Some got inspired to make it at home.
When you get such good reviews who won’t be motivated to try more. It helps me to keep going. I had prepared this cake at midnight after putting my son to sleep. And my son woke me up at 4 AM. So the next day I was dull and tired. But the awesome feedback, the smiles and the happiness the cake brought to my friends and colleagues compensated all the lost sleep.
Recipe Source here
Do try this very simple cake. Yes it is simple. Go ahead. Overcome your fears and hesitation.
Pineapple – 2- 3 pieces
Cherry – 8-10 pieces (i used cherry soaked in sugar syrup)
Flour – 1 cup
Egg – 1
Butter – 100 gm
Salt – 1 pinch
Sugar – 3/4 cup
Milk – 1/2 cup
Baking Powder – 1 tsp
Vanilla Essence – 1 tsp
For Sauce :
Jaggery – 1/4 cup
Butter – 2 tblspn + for greasing the pan
Water – 2 tblspn
- Take flour, baking powder and salt and sift it. Keep aside for use.
- Take cake pan and grease it well with butter.
- In a pan add jaggery, butter and water and melt everything. Do not boil it.
- Pour this sauce in the greased pan.
- Place pineapple slices on the sauce.
- In the remaining space/ gaps place cherries.
- Take pressure cooker and place a stand in it.
- Put it on medium flame for heating.
- In a bowl beat together butter, sugar and vanilla till fluffy. Takes around 1-2 minutes if beating with hand.
- Add in egg and beat till fluffy. Takes another minute.
- Add half of the flour and fold in.
- Add milk and mix well.
- Add remaining flour and fold in the batter.
- Pour this batter in the cake pan on the pineapple- cherry pieces.
- Place the cake pan slowly on the stand in the pressure cooker with the help of tongs.
- Remove the gasket (round black ring) and the whistle from the lid of the pressure cooker.
- Close the pressure cooker.
- Bake the cake for 40-45 minutes on low flame or till a knife inserted comes out clean.
- Once done, remove from cooker and let it cool down completely before removing the cake from pan.
- Do not over fill or fill the batter till the rim of the pan. Or else it will rise and burn at the edges.
- It is advised to check the cake at around 30 minutes to check if it is done. If not then close it again for 10 minutes.
- Be very careful and make use of mittens and tongs whole lowering or pulling up the pan.
- My pressure cooker is 5 Kgs hawkins.