Hello. You know I feel that current times, we are so overwhelmed with information that it sometimes plays to a disadvantage. Like for instance the super foods or energy bites (like today’s recipe Chocolate Almond Date Balls) or even green smoothies. Agreed, that these recipes were developed to fit into our ever changing and fast lifestyle. But somehow trying to catch up with the every changing trends is taking a toll on our health too. Having said that I also read an article in Vogue that Millennial are more health driven and conscious of what goes in their body.
I am not an expert or a nutritionist. I am just a plain mother who tries to give my child what my mother taught me and also learn from the current food/ nutritional needs. I am personally not a fan of almonds or dates. I am more driven towards walnut. But kids, they like only cashews. They will not entertain nuts in any form. The advertisement that is shown on TV of giving your child soaked, peeled almonds in the morning, well, it does not work. At least not with my kid.
Of course when i saw this trend of energy balls I knew that this is it. Although I already have a protein bar recipe with sprinkles in this blog (check here). Even for this recipe there is only 70 percent chances of my little one enjoying it as healthy snack since it is too sweet (Thanks to dates and honey). So kids who are more inclined towards spicy snacks mothers you need to dig in more.
Chocolate Almond Date Balls
Chocolate Almond Date Balls are these cute balls of overloaded but natural sweetness. These were created for my little one's school party. It is made with not so favorite nuts - almonds. Since it has chocolate flavor chances are that sweet loving kids would love these balls. Plus it is good for elders too. Makes for an healthy and easy grab it snack. Make it over the weekend (spare only 30 minutes) and store it for good 4-5 days (that is if it stays that long).
Take almonds in blender and blend it coarsely. Careful not to blend too much or it will become butter.
Now add in pitted dates, honey and chocolate spread.
Now grease your hand with little oil and make small balls. Don't make it too big as it is heavy on stomach.
Done. Your Chocolate Almond Date Balls is ready. Pack it up or store it in fridge.
- Instead of chocolate spread (which is already sweetened) use cocoa powder. I didn't have it in hand hence used spread.
- Don't use strong flavored oil for greasing your hand like coconut or even ghee. Sunflower will be good.
- Roll the balls in your choice of flavors. Few examples - Dry coconut, sprinklers or even nuts.
So how is your summer ? Its pretty hot and humid at my part of the world. Although the house is quiet breezy but it is humid. Resulting in tiredness, headaches, irritation and mood swings. To keep up with the summer it is quiet important to hydrate ourselves.
Anyways, today’s recipe is super simple. In fact why do I even need to blog about it? Because its better to document the number of ways you can keep yourself hydrated by using just what you find in your fridge. Let’s stop being dependent on shops and other means as much possible and carry our own bottle.
So I do pack my tiffin to office and these days the bag is heavier due to buttermilks and juices that I carry. Of course we get juice in canteen but I prefer to make my own, thus having control of what I use and the flavourings.
Today’s post is a simple post on a drink that my little one and myself enjoyed recently. If you have been following me on Instagram you would know that that we made this juice on a particularly hot sunny weekend. Off to the quick and easy recipe.
Oranges – 2
Carrot – 2
Sugar – 3 tblspn (Optional)
Honey – 4 tblspn
Ginger – Less than half an inch
- Take real sweet oranges. Take the pulp out into the juicer.
- Peel and cut carrot. Add these into the juicer.
- Add ginger piece.
- Add sugar/honey.
- Blend it all up and strain.
- Serve it with ice cubes if you like.
Some facts about oranges and carrots:
- Of course we know oranges are excellent source of Vitamin C. They are good if you are on a weight loss diet.
- Carrots are rich source of powerful antioxidants. I know eating carrot just as it is is difficult. Hence juicing it up is a great option.
- Carrots not only help in maintaining a healthy skin but also is excellant for eyes.
Hello. Thank you so much for staying with me while I was away. Things have been crazy busy here.
Office work, personal commitments, festival preparations, sickness. Well everything demanded my time and I was literally on 4-5 hours of sleep for more than 2 weeks. That also meant weekends I would either do what I love most – cooking and trying new dishes, or rest or do the cleaning. But I am glad that I am a regular in Instagram posts. So if you are not already following me do so now for ideas on dishes, tiffin recipes and much more memories.
These days passion fruit is in season. And I am getting lots of passion fruit from my native. Passion fruit juice is perfect option to quench your thirst. It is sour and sweet and delicious. Add some chia seeds or sabja seeds and it gives your drink a cool look and taste. So a quick post. Do try it.
Passion fruit is really sour. So you need a lot of sugar to balance it out. Have this juice chilled for that extra effect.
Passion Fruits – Inside pulp of 4 passion fruits
Sugar – 1/4 cup
Chia Seeds – 1 tblspn
Water – 3 cups or more if needed
Ice Cubes – as needed
- Take out the pulp of passion fruit.
- Now you can either blend it together with sugar and water. Once blended you can strain it. The seeds does not have any particular taste. So blending it won’t have any bitterness.
- Or you can take the pulp in a strainer and with the help of a spoon squeeze out the juice. Add sugar and water and stir well.
- Add chia seeds and stir well.
- Add ice cubes before serving.
So in this weather when sometimes it rains and other times it is hot and sunny this drink is perfect to quench your thirst.
As promised this is my second recipe for today. With the flavorful Jamun. Jamun is a fruit that is not exceptionally sweet. It is an acquired taste. But it is medicinal and healthy for you.
This recipe is super simple and healthy. All the ingredients are healthy for us and during summer this recipe is apt to quench your thirst.
Pitted Jamun – 1 cup
Slim Yogurt – 1/2 cup
Honey – 4 tblspn
- In a blender take yogurt and honey and blend till smooth.
- Remove half of the yogurt honey mix into another container.
- In the remaining yogurt honey mix add the pitted jamun. (keep some jamun spare if you like pieces in your popsicle.
- Blend it well.
- Take the ice cream moulds.
- Add jamuns in each mould.
- Add yogurt honey mix till mould is half full.
- Now add the yogurt honey jamun mix till the mould is 3/4 full. Do not completely fill the moulds.
- With a skewer swirl the contents of the moulds.
- Close the lid of the moulds and freeze it for atleast 5-6 hours or overnight.
Simple isn’t it. So don’t rush to buy ice cream when kids demand it. Prepare this yummy and healthy Popsicle at home. Enjoy.
Hello. It is so hot in this part of the world that some people wish to come to office on weekends. You tend to crave for cold food, light meals and loads of lighter moments to survive the day.
So this ice cream came to the rescue on such a hot and sunny day. It is super quick and easy recipe. Chickoo/ Sapota is in season. So go and make this ice cream at home and enjoy.
- Chickoo pulp – 1 cup
- Condensed milk – 1 can
- Blend together chickoo pulp and condensed milk. Check for the sweetness.
- Pour the content in ice cream moulds and set it in freezer.
- Enjoy after 5-6 hours.
See ya till next time.
Hello. So when I could manage I try to watch movies with my friends (which is not a regular ) and after that if time permits maybe go for lunch or shopping. Now if you ask me to shop, you will mostly find me in the fresh vegetable and fruits section or the cutlery and decoration aisle.
And I am easily tempted by greens and leaves. When I see methi, palak, cheera, pudina I go bonkers. So even if I have already done my grocery shopping, even if there is no more space in my fridge, even if I dread standing in line first waiting to get the bar code stamped and then payment section I still go ahead and buy these. So last time I was shopping I grabbed few greens and then moved to the fruit aisle. Staring at me were these beautiful huge guavas and pears. I just couldn’t stop myself from picking couple of each.
So guava I ended up making finger-licking-good jam. And was wondering what to do about the pear (of course the simpler way would have been to eat them as it is). Hence this recipe. The cinnamon works wonders in this juice. The pear was OMG naturally sweet. No need of additional sugar. My son didn’t like the pulpy juice hence I extracted the juice for him and I have with the pulp. I also added some prunes to give that bite and extra flavor.
Pear – 2 big
Cinnamon – 1/4 tsp
Prunes – 2-3 (optional)
- Peel the pears. (Optional)
- Chop and blend it in a blender with cinnamon.
- Drop few prunes and serve.
In this hot weather this juice was such a relief. Pear has lots of water hence I didn’t find the need to add additional water.
Hello. Today I have very simple smoothie. When you are hungry or when you are thirsty this is perfect in both scenarios. You can use your choice of fruits too. Better to use berry since berries are extremely good for your health. It is hot here and a cold smoothie is what you need to stay hydrated. A short post today since I am running around today with lots on my plate including rest time.
Mulberries – 1 cup
Curd – 1 cup
Honey – 4 tblspn
- Blend mulberries, curd and honey in a blender.
I enjoyed it with some plain corn flakes.
Good Morning all. The weather is playing hide and seek. This Sunday when I went shopping at 9:30 AM and was waiting to get into an auto when the security personnel (an old uncle) requested me to stand in shadow till the auto arrives. He said this heat is bad for health. And we discussed how it is only 10 AM and it feels hot like it is 12 or 1 PM. But by evening there was a drizzle and black clouds wandering in the sky. That is how the weather is these days.
I wish a little bit rain because there are people complaining of no water in their homes. This year it rained lesser than what was expected. I guess it is a wake up call for all of us to preserve and nurture mother nature.
Hence many of my recipes are weather inspired. It helps me to keep my cool on weekends when I am at home. Watermelons are in season. Watermelon itself has so much water. When turned it into juice with some complimenting ingredients it is a soothing cool drink.
Here we go,
Watermelon – 1 cup
Sugar/ Honey – 1.5 tblspn
Lemon Juice – Half a lemon
Black Salt as per taste
Blend together watermelon, honey, lemon juice and black salt.
Hello All. It almost feels like summer here. So hot and sweaty. Keeping yourself hydrated it very important. It is mango season and mango is one such ingredient that is widely used in savory and sweet dishes. It is a side ingredient as well as hero of the dish.
In my home raw mango had 2 uses – kadu manga (pickle) and panna (raw mango drink). Panna acts as a coolant to the body during summer. We used to boil the mangoes and store it in fridge. Whenever required we used to take those mangoes and squeeze out the pulp and prepare the panna. With some ice it used to taste divine.
One more memory I have of raw mangoes is having them with some chilly and salt. While in college the boys used to get raw mangoes from the nearby farms and the whole class used to have them with chilly and salt. Ahh those were the days. Just had to study, play, eat and sleep. No other worries. 🙂
Coming to today’s recipe is a basic “Aam panna”. When I say basic I mean you can prepare this basic aam panna and then customize it to bring it up a notch.
Raw Mango – 2 small
Sugar – 1 cup
Salt – As per taste
Cold Water – 1 cup
Ice Cubes – 2-3
- Wash and clean raw mangoes in fresh water properly.
- Remove the eye of the mango.
- Take it in a pan with 3 cups of water.
- Bring it to a boil.
- Boil the mangoes till they are tender.
- Once cooled, in the same water squeeze out the pulp of the mangoes.
- Squeeze out the skin and seed.
- Now add sugar and salt and mix well.
- Add in cold water and serve in glasses with ice cubes.
- Replace sugar with honey if you want a healthy twist.
- You can boil mangoes in bulk and store it in fridge. When required take the mangoes and make panna.
- Instead of salt you can use black salt.
Hello There. How are you doing? How was your weekend? Sitting in office I don’t realize how hot it is outside. On weekends only I realize how hot it is outside. Ice cream is perfect on these days.
Pineapple is commonly found in small town and village areas. I usually get pineapple, papaya, ash gourd, green chilly, ginger, yam, etc. from my parents house. Half of the pineapple I used to make pineapple upside down cake. Rest I used to make this ice cream.
It is super simple. Do try it for some home made ice cream.
Pineapple Juice – 1 cup
Thick Coconut Milk – 2 cups
Honey – 5 tblspn (You can use sugar – 6 tblspn)
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Pour it in ice cream moulds.
- Freeze it overnight. (5-6 hours)
Enjoy this pineapple- coconuty ice cream.
Hello All. How you doing today? The weather is getting stranger day by day. When we were kids there were only 4 seasons – Winter, summer, monsoon and spring. But these days it is ‘Not so cold winter’, ‘Sunny and hot summer’, ‘Rain whenever monsoon’ and ‘No bloom spring’. But who am I to complain. I am part of that civilization that likes to live an urban life. The environment balance is gone due to urbanization.
However, I am doing my bit in bringing back the balance. Like many out there among you, I am also trying to save electricity, water, trying to grow few of my veggies, etc. If we do our bit and teach the future generation to care then only we can give a better world for them.
Coming to today’s post it is a quick juice that not only quenches your thirst but also is nutritious. Oranges are in season and I plan to make maximum use of it. I am not a very big fan of oranges. Maybe because unlike other fruits you cannot predict with this fruit if it will be sweet or sour. The problem with citrus fruits is just that. It may or may not have sweetness. Weekend afternoons are very hot. I prefer to feed my family with some juice to cool them down.
Oranges – 2 medium
Lemon – Juice of 1 small lemon
Mint Leaves – 2 tblspn
Honey – 4 tblspn (My oranges were very sweet. Add more if you like it more sweet)
- Blend together oranges, lemon, honey and mint leaves.
- Strain and serve with or without ice.
Enjoy this glass of Vitamin C and quench your thirst healthy way.
Hey There. Happy Children’s there. You may be wondering why I am wishing you children’s day. Well I believe we all should keep the child inside us alive. And you may also ask where I have been for last few days. Well I have not been keeping very well and I had lots of professional and personal commitments. So I thought to given my blog a rest. And what a good day to restart blogging than on Children’s day.
Chocolate and children go hand in hand. I never saw any child who does not likes chocolate. And if it is chocolate brownie then all the more better. This is a chocolate fudge brownie that I baked in pressure cooker.
It is super simple. Just mix everything and let it bake. The only hard thing to do is to wait till it cools down to cut and enjoy. As you see my pieces are not very sharp since I cut it when it was hot as my little one wanted to taste it immediately. I would suggest you to wait until it has cooled down properly and then cut.
Recipe Source here
All purpose flour/ Maida – 1/2 cup
Butter – 1/2 cup
Coco powder – 1/2 cup
Eggs – 3
Vanilla – 2 tsp
Sugar – 1 1/4 cup
- Heat a pressure cooker without lid on high heat.
- Melt butter in sauce pan .
- Remove from flame and add coco powder, beaten eggs, vanilla, sugar and nuts and mix properly.
- Fold in the flour.
- Place a aluminium foil in a baking pan and grease it well.
- Place a stand in the pressure cooker.
- Pour the brownie batter in the pan.
- Carefully place the pan in the cooker with the help of tongs.
- Close the lid. Do not use whistle or gasket ( round black ring).
- Bake on medium low till 45 minutes or till the knife inserted comes clean. Remove and place it on metal rack carefully.
Enjoy after it has cooled down completely. Yup it was loved by my office friends.