Hello!!! So much to everyone’s relief it is raining here. I love rains and everything that comes with it. Except thunder and lightning. J Rains for me means hot pakodas, masala chai, childhood memories of paper boats and antakshari (songs game) when electricity went out. What does it mean to you?
I make lots of fritters, pakodas, bhajiya. My blog has lots of them. I do try to increase the health quotient if I am not able to get away with deep frying. Also these foods are awesome way to finish your leftovers. Don’t you think? And kids love these kind of foods.
Today’s recipe is a simple recipe made from banana flower. Banana flower is super healthy. And you get lots in this part of the world. Usually we end up making thoran (stir fry with coconut) and have it with rice. But this time I decided to make these small bullets out of them. My shaping is not that good so pardon me there. But do try the recipe and let me know if you enjoyed it for your tea time snack.
Chopped Banana flower – 1 cup
Onion – 1 medium finely chopped
Boiled Potato – 1 cup
Garlic paste – ½ tsp (optional)
Chilly powder – 1 tsp
Coriander Powder – ½ tsp
Fennel powder – ½ tsp
Chat masala – ¼ tsp
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Breadcrumbs – ½ cup or as needed
Egg – 1 Or Maida – 2 tblspn
Black Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
Oil – 1 tblspn + for shallow frying
Salt to taste
- Heat a pan with oil.
- Add chopped onion and saute till transluscent.
- Add garlic paste and saute till raw smell leaves.
- Add chopped banana flower and saute nicely.
- Add 2 tblspn water and close and cook on low flame.
- Once cooked add chilly powder, coriander powder, chat masala, fennel powder, turmeric and salt and cook for another 5 minutes with continuous stirring.
- Switch off and let the mixture cool.
- Add grated boiled potato to this mixture and mix well. (You can mash the potato too but I prefer grated as it gives me fine mashed potatoes)
- Adjust salt if required.
- Now let’s start assembling and frying. In a plate add breadcrumbs.
- In a bowl beat an egg with little salt and pepper powder. (Optionally for vegetarian you can make a slurry with maida and little water to make a thin slurry)
- Heat a pan with oil for frying. (If using non-stick then just 1-2 tblspn would be enough)
- Take a portion of the banana flower – potato mix and shape it as you like.
- Dip it in the egg mix or maida slury.
- Now coat it in breadcrumbs.
- Place it on pan to be fried.
- Turn and cook on each side.
- Do this for each patty.
Goes well with ketchup and green chutney. Enjoy your rains and banana flower bullets.