Hey There. You know what is soul food? Or comfort food? The food that satisfies your soul on a tough day is known as soul/comfort food. Or the food that reminds you of your home or native is soul/comfort food. Today I am posting one such soul food. Rasam. Now there are many types of rasam and many recipes out there.
Rasam is a famous south indian dish that is known for its digestive powers. It is known for its cleansing properties. It is very good to have it as a soup or shorba when you are fighting a cold or chest congestion.
Tomatoes – 2 ripe
Coriander Seeds – 1.4 tblsp
Black Pepper corns – 8-10
Garlic – 5-6 cloves
Asafoetida powder – a pinch
Tamarind – 1 small lemon sized soaked in ¼ cup water
Dry red chilli – 2-3
Oil – 2 tblspn
Coriander Leaves – 3-4 tblspn
Salt to taste
- Fry red chilli in oil. Remove and take it in blender.
- Blend into coarse paste red chilli, coriander seeds, black pepper and garlic.
- Put this mixture back into oil and saute for a minute.
- Add asafoetida powder and mix well.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook the tomatoes till soft.
- Add tamarind pulp and mix well.
- Add salt and 1.5 cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Let it boil for 10 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
Serve hot with rice or drink it as it is.