Namaste. Hello. We South Indians are very fond of our idli’s and dosas. It won’t be wrong to say that these humble dishes are world favorites. And with the growing health awareness people are experimenting with many grains that can make a good idli. Also there is a growing trend for stuffed items. There is stuffed veggies (stuffed brinjal, lady finger,etc), stuffed parcels (calzone), stuffed flatbread (parathas), etc. Hence came the stuffed idlis.
It is a very simple recipe though. And heavy due to the stuffing. Just prepare the stuffing and when pouring out the batter put a little batter and then cover it again with batter. So it is like idli sandwich.
Boiled potato – 1 medium
Carrot – 1 medium (chopped finely)
Green Peas Frozen – 1/2 cup
Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Onion – 1 small
Coriander Powder – 1.5 tsp
Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
Lemon Juice – half a lemon
Oil – 1 tblspn
Salt to taste
- Grate boiled potatoes and keep aside.
- In a kadai, heat oil.
- Crackle cumin seeds and add onions.
- Saute onions till translucent.
- Add carrots and green peas. Add 1/4 cup water and let the carrot and peas cook.
- Once the carrot and green peas are cooked let the water evaporate. (just keep sauteing without lid till the water disappears.
- Add coriander powder, chilly powder and salt and mix well.
- Add grated potatoes and mix well.
- Take it off the flame and add lemon juice and mix well.
- In Idli maker boil little water. Grease the idli plates well.
- Pour a little batter on the idli wells. Fill it only till 1/3 of the well.
- Place a little stuffing on the poured batter.
- Pour another spoonful of batter on top.
- Likewise fill all the idli wells and steam it.
- Once cooked remove the idlis and serve with coconut/tomato chutney.
This is a good tea time snack too. Cut it into small pieces and serve it for your kids lunch box along with tomato chutney.