The weather is playing hide and seek these days. Yesterday all of sudden it rained in the evening and when I thought it would rain more it didn’t. Some days its sunny and hot and humid while on some days cold breeze is flowing. It is difficult to stay away from cough and cold these days.
Hence it is important eat healthy and stay strong. All my soup posts I have mentioned that I prepare soups only when someone is under the weather. Well that’s true. Soup in my house is rare. When someone falls sick we usually make ‘kanji’. But soup has its own benefits. Usually kids take a liking to soups. It is a wonderful way to include veggies in your diet. And it is lighter on the stomach. If you notice all my soup recipes do not have corn flour added. Usually soups require corn flour. But I try to replace corn flour with healthier options like the vegetables.
So here we go. A simple minty pea soup.
Frozen/ Fresh green peas – 1 cup
Onion – 1 medium
Garlic – 2-3 cloves
Mint Leaves – 2 tblspn
Pepper Powder – 1/2 tsp
Vegetable/ Chicken Stock/ Water – 1 cup
Butter – 1 tblspn
Salt to taste
- Melt butter and add chopped onions.
- Saute them till translucent.
- Add chopped garlic and saute them.
- Add green peas and saute them for a minute.
- Add stock/ water and salt and bring it to a boil.
- Once boiled lower the flame and close and cook till the peas are soft.
- Switch off the flame. Drain the contents. Do not throw the liquid.
- Take the mint leaves and green peas mix in a blender and pulse till smooth.
- Transfer it back to the pan and add the liquid back to adjust the consistency. Mix this on low flame. Remaining liquid if left can be discarded.
- Add pepper powder and give the soup a nice mix.
- Once nicely hot switch off the flame and serve.
Have this hearty healthy green soup along with some toasted bread.