Hello. Today’s recipe is made with chicken. When I was writing this post I thought there are so many ‘chicken’ related phrases and idioms in English. Let me list some of them out here just for fun:
CHICKEN AND EGG SITUATION – Essentially means we still don’t know which came first – the chicken or the egg. So a confused situation.
LIKE A HEADLESS CHICKEN – Means running around directionless. Often related to when we are overworked and running around doing chores.
YOU ARE CHICKEN – Means you are scared. Also rephrased as ‘Chicken out’ as in ‘Don’t chicken out from the plan’
DON’T COUNT YOUR CHICKEN BEFORE THEY HATCH – Means don’t make plans based on assumptions
There are many such phrases if you look online. Anyways moving on today’s recipe, it happened accidentally. I had prepared chicken clear soup and was left with chicken pieces. So I turned it to this chicken khichdi.
Even if you are not planning to make soup you can make this recipe. If you do not like the vegetarian khichdi do make this chicken khichdi and enjoy.
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Chicken pieces with and without bones – 4-5
Onion – 1 medium
Garlic – 2 large cloves
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Carrot – 1
Bay Leaf – 1
Star Anise – 1
Cinnamon – 1 small piece
Cloves – 3-4
Black Pepper – 3-4
Fennel Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Green cardamom – 1
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
Dry Basil Leaves – a pinch (optional)
Butter/ Olive oil – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak basmati rice for half an hour.
- In a pressure cooker, melt some butter.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, bay leaf, star anise, fennel seeds and cardamom and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute for a minute.
- Add finely chopped garlic and ginger and saute for another minute.
- Add chopped carrots and chicken pieces and saute on high heat.
- Add turmeric powder and basil leaves and continue sauteing on medium heat for another minute.
- Now add salt and 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles and switch off the flame
- Once the steam settles drain the contents into clean bowl. ( use this as soup).
- Add the content back in the pressure cooker with basmati rice.
- Add chilly powder and salt. Add little of the cooked stock.
- Add 1.5 cups of water and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Once the steam has cooled, remove the lid.
- Enjoy hot.
This recipe is also good when you have a upset stomach or runny nose.