Bharwa Baigan is a very famous dish up north. It is a delicious dish that is often served with rotis. As working women we often struggle to find tasty, nutritious and yet quick dishes that can go well in our tiffin boxes. I personally do no like to eat rice much. There were days where I didn’t eat any rice at all. If there was only rice made at home, I used to adjust with the leftover breakfast or make rotis for myself.
This dish is apt with baby brinjals. Well I didn’t exactly get baby brinjal but I managed with medium sized brinjal. The stuffing used in this dish is so yummy that you will just lick it off the pan. I used the leftover masala as a side for my idlis. It is that yummy. Do try it and let me know how it turned out for you.
Baby Brinjals – 2-3
Onion – 1 medium
Tomato – 1 big
Peanuts – 3 tblspn
Poppy Seeds/ Khus-khus – 1 tblspn
Chilly powder – 1.5 tblspn
Coriander powder – 1 tblspn
Cumin powder – 0.5 tblspn
Turmeric powder – 0.5 tsp
Garam masala – a pinch
Coriander leaves – 2 tbslpn chopped
Oil – 1 tblspn
Salt to taste
- Wash the brinjals well. Dry it with a kitchen towel . At the non-stalk side slit the brinjal till the stalk in an X.
- In a pan, dry roast the peanuts( skinless) till light golden brown.
- Remove and dry roast poppy seeds. Be careful as not to burn them . Roast on low flame.
- Take both peanuts and poppy seeds in a blender along with little salt and blend. It will become a coarse mixture.
- Stuff this mixture inside the brinjals properly. Reserve the remaining mix.
- Heat oil in a pan and place the stuffed brinjals for shallow frying.
- Turn on each side so the brinjals are cooked evenly. Once cooked remove it to a plate.
- Take onions and tomato in a blender and puree it.
- In the same pan add this puree.
- Cook till the puree leaves the sides of the pan. It will become a thick mix.
- Add turmeric, cumin, coriander, chilly and garam masala and mix well for 1 minute.
- Add the leftover stuffing and mix well.
- Add the brinjals and let the gravy coat the brinjals well. Close the lid and let it cook on low flame. Stir carefully occasionally. After 5 minutes switch off the flame.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
Do try this and let me know if you liked it. I am sure non-brinjal lovers will also like this dish with rotis. Till next time see ya.