Diwali is here and every home is gearing up for the celebration. From the place I come from Diwali celebration would mean celebration of the full colony. Evening time all the kids would gather around and share the delicacies made at their home to other homes. You could hear the fire crackers even at 4 in the morning. There used to be pandals / stage where cultural programs would be held.
Now when I think of those old days I feel goosebumps. Those were treasured memories. Playing around without any worries in the world. Today’s recipe is murukku also known as chakli. It can be made with so many ingredients and is so versatile in taste. Teething kids specially love murukku because it soothes their gums.
Raw Rice Powder – 1/2 kg
Potatoes – 250 gms
Roasted cumin – 1/2 tsp
Black Sesame Seeds – 1 tsp
Chilly Powder – 1 tsp
Asafoestida – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry
- Boil potatoes till they are soft. You can either boil them in pressure cooker or open pan. The only risk with boiling potatoes in pressure cooker is that the water seeps in potato. You need to avoid that.
- Peel and mash the potatoes finely.
- Add raw rice, sesame, chilly powder, asafoetida, cumin and salt and prepare a soft dough.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Spoon the dough inside the murukku maker (sancha) and pipe it in round shapes or the shape you desire.
- Once nicely browned drain on tissue paper.
Tada it was that simple. Isn’t it? Enjoy this diwali with this simple murukku.