Hello There…… This is the era of Oats revolution. Everywhere there is oats. Everyone know it is healthy. For those who don’t like to adjust their palate away from the authentic recipes, they too are making way for oats. Hence, you see recipes adjusted and modified for oats. You find recipes where oats are either used as fillers or replacements. You find oats as star ingredients or as the secret one.
Here’s a quick recipe for a breakfast. As many of you may be aware of famous Kerala dish known as steamed rice cake with coconut shavings or puttu. It is usually made with rice. It also has variations like corn flour or ragi flour. This recipe is used from oats flour. It tastes very well with ripe banana or kadala curry or even chicken curry .
- Quick cooking oats – 1 cup
- Water as required
- Salt as required.
- Dry roast oats in a pan till nice aroma comes and you get the feeling that its nicely toasted. (careful not to burn it by constant stirring. This would take 3-4 minutes)
- Remove it to a place and let it cool.
- Place your palm on the puttu plate and pour little water. Start mixing it together with the oats.
- Pour more water as required and start mixing the oats flour such that to form a crumble like texture.
- Now your whole flour might be properly wet and you may see lumps.
- Take this in a blender and pulse it 2 times.
- Remove it to a plate. This is your puttu flour.
- In the puttu vessel, bring to a boil some water.
- In the puttu cylinder, add some grated coconut.
- Now add the oats crumble. After halfway through add little more coconut. Fill the cylinder with oats crumble till top. Again coconut.
- Steam for 5-8 minutes.
- Once done, remove the cylinder and aim it to a serving plate.
- Take a big ladle and using the back of the ladle push the puttu to the plate
Enjoy this healthy breakfast with bananas or the curry of your choice.