This is my second post for the month of Pinktober. This is one of my favorite recipe. I never knew about beetroot pacchadi before coming to Kerala. We always used to make pacchadi with cucumber and I loved that version too. And look at the colors. Isn’t it awesome. The taste of the mustard mixed with yogurt and coconut is divine. The creamy texture of this dish is just awesome.
When your days are not turning out as you expected or you are going through stress there are some food that comforts you. And even cooking is a source of comfort for some. This dish I believe is ultimate comfort food. And this colour too is comfort to the eyes. Don’t you agree?
Beetroot – 1 medium
Yogurt/ Curd – 1 cup
Coconut – 1 cup
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp + 1 tsp
Ginger – 1/2 inch
Red Chilly – 2 (can use green chilly too – 3-4)
Curry Leaves – 1 stem
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Cumin Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 1 tblspn
Salt to taste
1. Chop beetroot into cubes and pressure cook them with some salt.
2. Once cooked and cooled take them in a blender and blend to a smooth paste.
3. Take coconut, chilly, turmeric, cumin, ginger and mustard seeds in a blender and blend to a fine paste.
4. To add yogurt and pulse it once.
5. Add this content with the beetroot paste and mix well.
6. Heat it in low flame by continuous stirring so it does not boil. It should be heated enough to form steam but not come to boil. Remove from flame.
7. Take a tadka pan and heat some oil.
8. Once oil is hot, splutter mustard seeds.
9. Add curry leaves and pour this content on the pacchadi. Mix well and serve.
Have a nice and blessed day ahead.