This is October. You may ask why am I mentioning it. Well, October is the month for breast cancer awareness. It is also commonly known as Pinktober. Requesting all women to get their annual check up done. We women tend to run after everything and get everything perfect for family and others. But why don’t we keep ourselves first. After all if we are healthy and happy only then we can take care of others. This month I will be posting many pink colored recipes saluting all those who have fought their battle against breast cancer.
Coming to today’s recipe it is a very common dish in this part of the world. And very much loved. It is very healthy and yummy to go with rice. It is a leafy vegetable known as ‘Cheera’. Sometimes I grow this leaf at home in small pots. It is virtual delight to our eyes to see pinkish maroon cheera leaves dancing with the wind. And when it is cooked with coconut it brings out a delicious flavor.
Cheera is also known as Amaranth leaves. They come in 2 colors. Pinkish maroon and green.
Cheera leaves – 1 cup
Cumin – 1 tsp
Garlic – 1 clove (optional)
Coconut – 1/2 cup
Green chilly – 2-3
Mustard Seeds – 1 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Oil – 1 tblspn
Salt to taste
- In a blender, blend together grated coconut, cumin, chilly and garlic till nicely crushed. Need not form a smooth paste.
- In a kadai, heat oil.
- Splutter mustard seeds.
- Add chopped cheera leaves and saute on high flame. You will see after a minute it will curdle up to half the quantity. Lower the flame.
- Now add the contents from the blender.
- Add little water into the blender and add it to the kadai.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Close with a lid and let it cook.
- After a minute, open the lid again and mix properly. Close and cook.
- After 5 minutes your cheera thoran is done. If there is excess water then cook it out by sauteing on high flame.
Enjoy hot with rice. Not only it gives bright color but also brightens up your health.
If you have pink recipes that you want me to post do email me or ping me or comment. Stay healthy and happy.