Do I need to outline the health benefits of chicken soup? As the famous adage goes “Chicken soup for the soul” it actually helps to sooth your senses. On cold or rainy days hot chicken soup works wonders for your body. I make this soup for my kid and myself whenever we are under the weather.
Do try this delicious power packed soup yourself and get its numerous health benefits.
Chicken pieces with and without bones – 4-5
Onion – 1 medium
Garlic – 2 large cloves
Ginger – 1 inch piece
Carrot – 1
Bay Leaf – 1
Star Anise – 1
Cinnamon – 1 small piece
Cloves – 3-4
Black Pepper – 3-4
Fennel Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Green cardamom – 1
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Dry Basil Leaves – a pinch (optional)
Butter/ Olive oil – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
- In a pressure cooker, melt some butter.
- Add cinnamon, cloves, black pepper, bay leaf, star anise, fennel seeds and cardamom and saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions and saute for a minute.
- Add finely chopped garlic and ginger and saute for another minute.
- Add chopped carrots and chicken pieces and saute on high heat.
- Add turmeric powder and basil leaves and continue sauteing on medium heat for another minute.
- Now add salt and 2 cups of water and pressure cook for 2 whistles and switch off the flame
- Once the steam settles drain the contents into clean bowl.
- Drink the soup when it is still slightly hot.