Taro or commonly known as chembu in malyalam and arbi in hindi is a root vegetable. I love root vegetables be it taro or yam or tapioca. If cooked properly it makes a good and delicious dish.
This dish is roasted taro in mild spices. It is like crisp pieces with soft insides. You can enjoy it with rice but in had it with rotis. Super simple and quick this is a weekday dish.
Taro/ Arbi/ Chembu – 500 gms
Chilly Powder – 1/2 tsp
Coriander Powder – 1 tsp
Cumin Powder – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
Coriander Leaves – 1 tblspn
Curry Leaves – 1 stem
Oil – 1 tblspn
Salt to taste
- Scrape and wash taro properly.
- Put it in a pressure cooker with enough water and pressure cook for 1 whistle.
- Once the steam settles drain the taro and peel.
- Cut the taro in round identical pieces (not too thick not too thin)
- In a pan heat oil.
- Once hot, add the chopped taro.
- Toss it around nicely till sides are crispy.
- Now add all the masalas and toss around.
- Add curry leaves and mix well.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Mix continuously till the masalas are well roasted. ( Make sure it does not get burnt)
- Switch off the flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.