Aviyal- Do I need to introduce this humble dish ? Originated from Kerala this dish is world famous now. Its health effects are enormous. Its taste quotient is high. It is a regular in every sadya.
Early on duringmy childhood I never liked Aviyal. But then which kid likes veggies? But now I just love them. I can just have a plate of aviyal for my lunch without rice or roti.
All those who are new to this dish, do try it.
All the veggies are given in cup measurement. The veggies should be cut lengthwise into inch long pieces.
Drumstick – 2 (peeled and cut into inch long pieces)
Brinjal – 1/4 cup
Elephant Yam – 1/4 cup
Potato – 1/4 cup
Carrot – 1/4 cup
Hyacinth Bean (Amara payar) – 1/4 cup
Pumpkin – 1/4 cup
Plantain – 1/4 cup
Snake Gourd – 1/4 cup
Cucumber ( Vellarikya) – 1/4 cup
Tomato (Ripe ) – 2 big
Coconut – 1 cup
Cumin – 1 tsp
Green Chilly – 2-3
Curry Leaves – 1-2 stem
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Salt to taste
Coconut Oil – 1 tblsp (optional)
- In a blender, blend together coconut, green chilly with cumin.
- Add a little water and turmeric and blend till fine smooth paste.
- In a big pan, take all the chopped and cleaned veggies.
- Add curry leaves and salt.
- Add the blended paste with little water.
- Switch on the flame on high till the water starts boiling.
- Once it has reached boiling point, lower the flame and close the lid.
- Let the veggies cook on low flame.
- Give occasional stir till the veggies are soft and cooked.
- Optionally toss in the coconut oil around or make a tadka with mustard and mix well. Serve.
- All veggies need not be peeled and should be scraped like snake gourd and drumstick.
- Some people do not prefer to peel pumpkin and carrot.
- Some veggies need not be peeled at all like brinjal, tomatoes and hyacinth bean.
- Veggies like yam, potato and plantain have to be peeled.
- Use ripe tomatoes only.
- The water content of the veggies are enough to cook if required add little water from the blender jar.
- You can keep the consistency of the aviyal as you like. Usually it is little pasty . It is neither runny nor very dry.(as seen in pic)
- Adding coconut oil at the end gives the aviyal that extra kick. You can skip this step.