A school friend of mine requested a veg biryani. And I am glad I made it. If you are regular visitor of my blog you may know that I love to prepare quick and healthy dishes. Quick does not mean you should compromise on taste or the health quotient.
This is one such dish.It can be prepared on a weekday. It can be packed in tiffin. It does not take more than half an hour to prepare. You can add more veggies if you like. I wanted to add paneer but I was out of stock.
Do try this corn peas biryani for its simplicity and deliciousness.
Corn – 1/4 cup
Frozen Peas – 1/4 cup
Basmati Rice – 1 cup
Milk – 1/2 cup (I used Skim milk)
Cloves – 3-4
Cinnamon – 1 inch piece
Star anise – 1/2 piece
Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup
Mint leaves – 1/2 cup
Green chilly – 2-3 small
Onion – 1 medium
Tomato – 1 medium
Ghee – 2 tblspn
Water – 1 cup
Salt to taste
- Wash and soak basmati rice.
- Chop onions and tomatoes finely.
- In a blender take mint, coriander, cinnamon, star anise, cloves and green chilly and blend. Mix little water and make a smooth paste.
- In a thick bottom pan, heat ghee.
- Add chopped onions and saute till translucent.
- Add tomatoes and cook till they are mushy.
- Add the corn and peas and saute well.
- Add the blended mixture and rice and mix properly.
- Add milk and water and bring it to a boil.
- Add salt and lower the flame.
- Cover and cook for 10-15 minutes till the water has evaporated.
- Fluff up the rice with a fork.
Do add slightly toasted paneer cubes for extra flavor element of the dish. Enjoy.