This is a very simple recipe and it was introduced to me recently by my parents. I immediately fell in love with this preparation so much that whenever I buy okra I prepare this dish. You know how much I love dishes that are healthy, yummy and quick (in that order). My dad says health wise compared to green/red chilly, black pepper is more healthy.
I have fallen in love with this spice which I ignored till recently. Pepper gives a unique flavor to the veggies. But the challenge is getting good soft okra. Most of the time the okra are hard or they become refrigerated and not used fresh. Hard chewy okras annoys me so much and it takes away the beauty of the dish.
Anyways, all the busy people out there do try this simple and real quick stir fry and let me know how you liked it.
Okra/ Lady Finger – 500 gms
Pepper Powder – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Curry Leaves – 1 stem
Oil – 1 tblspn
Salt as per taste
- Slit okra lengthwise and cut into thin pieces (matchstick length)
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Once hot, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add the okras and stir on high heat.
- Add in curry leaves.
- Stir at an interval of 30-40 seconds on high heat.The okra will become soft.
- Lower the heat and add pepper powder and salt.
- Keep stirring every 1 minute till nicely cooked. The texture you are looking for is soft okra.
Enjoy with hot phulkas ( chapathi, roti) or rice.