Sandwich. The age old quickie snack that appeals to almost everyone. You can fill your choice of stuffing. Nowadays you get different types of bread to. Nuts crusted bread. Whole wheat bread. Oats bread. Bran bread. Flavored bread. Honey bread. Italian bread.
When I was growing all I know about bread was white milk bread and tutty fruity bread. It used to be 7 Rs per pack. The pack cover had colorful diamond shapes. Does anyone recall such bread packets. The only bread recipes that was cooked at home was bread omelette or bread butter jam.
Anyways moving on to today’s recipe this is a simple stuffing of potato and green peas. I have used my Dates Chutney to give extra zing to the sandwich.
Bread Slices – 4
Potato – 1 medium
Frozen green peas – 1/2 cup
Chat masala – 1 tsp
Chilli powder – 2 tsp
Coriander powder – 2 tsp
Dry mango powder – 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
Dates Chutney – 2 tblspn
Oil – 1 tblspn
Salt to taste
- Heat a kadai and add oil.
- Once oil is hot splutter fennel seeds.
- Add chopped potatoes and green peas and stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add all the masalas, salt and 1/4 cup water.
- Close and let the potatoes and green peas cook.
- Once they are cooked if excess water remains let it evaporate by cooking without lid.
- Let it cool. Once cooled mash them nicely.
- Take 2 bread slices.
- Spread butter on one side of the bread slices
- On one bread spread this stuffing (on the non-butter side)
- On another bread spread the dates chutney generously.(on the non-butter side)
- Keep them both together and place it in a sandwich maker. If you do not have sandwich maker then you can toast it on tawa too.
- Once nicely toasted cut the sandwich as you like and serve.
Optionally you can add green chutney and/or cheese too. This sandwich is tangy, sweet and spicy that tingles your taste buds.