I love mushrooms, especially button mushrooms. Whenever I see them in my grocery store I make sure to pick one pack. But I like to make only stir fry with them. I feel with curries the mushroom loses its flavour. But that’s my view.
I love this dish so much that it gets over with the tasting itself. At the time of serving the amount left will be very less than when I was chopping them. It goes well with phulkas or even rice. For me it goes well as it is …hehehe
I cut my finger recently and finding it difficult to type quickly…..So no more blabbering and straight to the recipe.
Mushrooms – 1 packet (preferable button mushrooms)
Onion – 1 large
Pepper Powder – 1 tblspn
Curry Leaves – 1 steam
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tblspn
Salt – to taste
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Once oil is hot, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add thinly sliced onions and sauté on high heat.
- Add some salt and sauté onions.
- Keep stirring the onions for it to caramelize instead of burn.
- Once onions are browned lower the flame and add curry leaves.
- Add mushrooms (slit lengthwise).
- Sauté on high heat now. It will leave lots of water. No problem, keep sautéing. Once water has evaporated add pepper powder.
- Mix well and take it off flame.
- Don’t overcook mushrooms as they tend to become rubbery.
- The onions have to be nicely caramelized for the nice taste of onions and mushroom to evolve.