No I am not obsessed with jackfruit. It is just that it is jackfruit season right now. Jackfruit is one fruit that is used in many ways. Its fruit and seed are used in dishes. It is used when raw and when cooked. During season you see abundance of this fruit.
Here is another thoran using jackfruit seeds and drumstick. It is a combination fuelled with vitamins. It goes well with rice.
Jackfruit Seeds – 1 cup chopped lengthwise
Drumstick – 1 peeled and cut into equal pieces
Grated Coconut – half cup
Cumin – 1 teaspoon
Garlic – 2-3 cloves
Shallots – 4-5
Green chillies – 2-3 big ones
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves – 1 stem
Oil – 2 teaspoon
Salt – taste
- Pressure cook chopped jackfruit seeds and drumstick with little water and salt for 1 whistle.
- In a blender, take grated coconut, green chillies, cumin, garlic and shallots and blend.
- It need not become pasty but it should be coarse.
- Once the pressure goes down in the cooker, open it and add this mixture and cook till the water evaporates.
- In a tadka pan, add oil.
- Once oil I hot, splutter mustard seeds.
- Add curry leaves. Pour this tadka over the thoran and mix well.
Serve hot with rice.