First things first. I want to thank the person who invented jam. It is such a go-to option for busy parents. It is so versatile to be enjoyed with anything – roti, bread, pancake, cakes, muffins, etc.
I don’t know why I didn’t try this before. You can easily make your jam at home without any preservatives. The ones that you get in stores are loaded with high sugar. I remember during Christmas time, one day when I woke up, I found jars of jam prepared by mom. Out of innocence I asked her where did these jars came from and she replied Santa had visited while I was sleeping and he gave jam for me. It used be the yummiest jam I ever tasted. It was guava jam.
Lately I have not been keeping well. My parents had come to visit me and they got lots of fruits including apple. I was thinking of what to make of them to finish it when I thought of jam. My colleague told me that her son does not have apple sauce because it tastes like medicine. Before making this jam I thought maybe it will taste the same as apple sauce. But I was pleasantly surprised when I tasted it. It was nothing like apple sauce and tasted very good. My son loved it. Sometimes when I am in a hurry I prepare roti and spread a generous amount of this jam.
Apple – 1 cup
Sugar – ¾ cup
Lemon Juice – 1 tbsp
- Wash, peel, core and grate the apples.
- Add half cup water and cook the apples.
- Once cooked add the sugar and let it dissolve.
- Transfer it to a kadai and keep stirring.
- There will come a point when it will start leaving the sides. That means it will get thick and will not stick to the kadai.
- Add the lemon juice now. Keep stirring for another half minute and then switch off the flame.
- Once cooled store in airtight jar.
- You can avoid grating the apples. Just chop them in small pieces and once cooked mash them. It is fine if you have some chunks too.
- I had sweet apples. So I did not add much sugar. Adjust your sugar according to your taste.
You can use this jam as a spread for breads, rotis, pancakes as I have used in my pancake post. Do try this lovely golden coloured apple jam and surprise your kids.