This is jackfruit season here in Kerala. Jackfruit is a humble dish which is used at every stage. Raw jackfruit is used in Kerala special dish known as Chakka Vevichathu. Ripe jackfruit can be eaten just like that and is super yummy. Otherwise ripe jackfruit is used in desserts, stuffing, etc. This recipe is using jackfruit seeds. The seeds when cooked have a texture similar to Chinese potato (kurka). This is a stir fry or poriyal or mezhukuperatty recipe which is again a super quick recipe.
Here it goes,
Jackfruit seeds- 1 cup
Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder – ½ teaspoon
Fennel powder – ½ teaspoon
Mustard – 1 teaspoon
Curry Leaves – 1 stem
Salt – As per taste
- Chop jackfruit seeds lengthwise.
- In a container toss together jackfruit seeds, masala powders and salt.
- Add 3 tablespoon water and cook it covered.
- Once the water has evaporated switch off the flame.
- Heat a kadai and add 1 tablespoon oil.
- Once hot, splutter mustard.
- Add the cooked jackfruit seeds along with curry leaves.
- Saute for some time till crisp.
- There is white layer in the jackfruit seed which you need to remove.
- The brown skin of the seed need not be removed or scraped.
- Be careful while chopping seeds since its little hard to cut but slippery in hands.
I served this with rice, teeyal curry and fish curry.